“The places we are seen and heard are holy places.”
—Dr. Rachel Naomi Remen
Finding places to be seen and heard is an important step on the quest for meaning. We have developed a number of small groups and micro-communities. If you want to add a group or have suggestions, please contact us. We are happy to experiment with formats and venues!
Fall 2017 Covenant Groups
Enrollment for the Fall 2017 round is now closed. You can be added to the waiting list for the next round in the spring.
If you would like to join online communities of other types, please see our groups below.
The CLF/Quest for Meaning welcomes anyone who abides by our covenant to join our Facebook communities. Facebook has 3 privacy settings for groups: open, closed and secret. See this Facebook help page for who can join and what people can see about the groups.
- Quest Monthly Theme Discussion — reflect on a particular spiritual or life theme explored in worship, in Quest Monthly and through our blog; group remains as the themes change.
- CLF Coffee Hour — to connect, share, ask questions, and get to know one another.
- CLF Joys, Sorrows, Prayers, and Gratitude — for walking with one another in the celebrations and sorrows of life.
- CLF Sharing the Journey — for CLF members and friends to share personal stories of spiritual growth. Participants are invited to share in new posts and respond to one another in comments to lend support as we find points of resonance in each other’s stories. This is a space for encouragement rather than argument or debate.
- Quest for Healing — for those seeking support in the journey through grief.
- CLF UU Christians — for anyone who is interested in Unitarian Universalist Christianity.
- CLF CUUPS (Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans) — for all Pagans affiliated with the CLF or Quest for Meaning.
- CLF Humanist Exploration — for anyone interested in exploring humanism in Unitarian Universalism.
- CLF International — for anyone living outside of North America.
- CLF Interweave — for LGBTQI folks to meet in a safe place and find support. Membership is confidential. Email Lauren Way for an invitation to this private group lway(at)clfuu.org.
- CLF Military — for military members, veterans and their families only.
These groups meet via videoconference at specified times usually twice a month and allow for face-to-screen-to-face interactions. You can participate in an open group without advanced registration. Once a closed group forms and begins meeting, you might have to wait for a new round to begin in order to participate. Contact the group facilitator if you have questions.
Open (drop-ins welcome)
- Religious Educators Covenant Group — facilitated by group members
Closed (pre-registration required)
- People of Color Covenant Group — facilitated by Julica Hermann de la Fuente
- Effective Allyship: A Covenant Group for Safety Pin Box Subscribers — facilitated by group members
- White Parents and Caregivers Raising Children of Color Covenant Group — facilitated by Mandy Goheen, Kari Kopnick, and Dayna Edwards
As we become an online community, it is important to clarify group values and expectations. We seek to create a safe and welcoming space and will operate under the following principles:
RESPECT—Our overarching value will be one of respect for self and others as well as for people and ideas we may disagree with. We will value the worth and dignity of all people.
TOLERANCE AND APPRECIATION OF DIVERSITY—We will seek to operate under a “both/and” rather than an “either/or” philosophy (i.e., we will honor others’ paths and welcome differences.
COMPASSION—Ours is a group with a spirit of caring and support. We will seek to encourage and lift one another up—especially in difficult times.
CONFIDENTIALITY—What is shared in the closed group stays in the closed group.
ACCOUNTABILITY—We will hold each other accountable to these shared values (lovingly), and in the rare case that a post is offensive or inappropriate (it is okay to say “ouch”), the post will be removed by the moderator. Let the journey begin!