Church of the Larger Fellowship, Unitarian Universalist
Posted: January 25, 2017
The Church of the Larger Fellowship is a global Unitarian Universalist congregation which is not located in a building (though there is an administrative office in Boston, MA). We serve over 3,500 members through mail, phone, and the internet, including over 700 incarcerated members. We are a diverse community of people of all genders and gender identities, abilities, races, sexual orientations, and economic statuses. Our Board, ministers, staff and interns, similarly to our congregation, live in many different places.
Unitarian Universalism is a non-creedal religion focused on ethical living and spiritual deepening. We believe in the inherent worth and dignity of all people, and we lift up the interdependent web of all life. The Church of the Larger Fellowship seeks to connect our members, deepen their spirituality, and support them in living with courage to act on their convictions. We are passionate about our involvement in racial justice work and the Black Lives Matter movement.
Role and Responsibilities
Full charge bookkeeper responsible for processing daily transactions, monitoring and reconciling accounts, and reporting results to Executive Director, including
- Deposit checks into operating account.
- Daily monitoring of cash levels in operating bank account.
- Record deposits including checks, credit card payments, ACH payments, PayPal payments
- Pay bills and fulfill check requests in a timely manner.
- Pay consultants monthly. Prepare and issue 1099 forms at year-end.
- Transfers from business savings account to operating account.
- Monthly reconciliations of bank statements.
- Receive general ledger reports from headquarters detailing monthly expenses incurred for payroll, benefits, postage, telephone, IT maintenance, etc. Check charges for accuracy and record journal entries in QuickBooks.
- Receive monthly payroll and benefits data from headquarters. Check for accuracy and record journal entries in QuickBooks.
- Manage Visa debit card account. Receive monthly billing. Pay bill online. Collect receipts from Visa users throughout the month. Match up receipts with billing and follow up with Visa users for any missing receipts. Prepare spreadsheet listing individual charges and assign expense account to each item. Total expense line items and enter journal entries into QuickBooks. Scan Visa bill and each receipt and file electronically in the Paid Invoices folder.
- Manage grants and designated projects/funds. Record income and expenses for project accounting.
- Assist Executive Director in preparation of annual budget.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for Executive Director’s approval.
- Notify Executive Director and Development Director of monthly fundraising income. Reconcile fundraising income in QuickBooks with eTapestry fundraising software data.
- Monitor cash level in prepaid postage at the Post Office. Make sure there’s enough postage for monthly mailings. Reconcile this account monthly.
- Prepare monthly mailing list by running multiple queries in eTapestry database. Send master list to mail house and printer.
- Assist members who have questions or need help with making credit card or cash donations.
Qualifications and Education
- Business degree
- 4 years’ experience fiscal and business administration
- Must be able to work in Boston South Station area offices
- QuickBooks Pro proficiency
- Basic accounting, in-depth bookkeeping and analytical proficiency
- Knowledge of fundraising software, especially Blackbaud eTapestry, a plus
- Proficiency in using Windows Office Suite, particularly Excel, Word and Access
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to self-manage workload
- 26 hours per week at ~$25/hr. Commensurate with experience
- Excellent benefits package provided including medical and pension
- Flexible and supportive work environment
- Submit your resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Bookkeeper.
- No phone calls, please.
- The position is open until filled; however, the initial application review will begin February 1, 2017 and the CLF seeks to hire an individual by March 1, 2017.
The Church of the Larger Fellowship is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applicants who are diverse by race, color, gender, religion, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, familial responsibilities, marital status, veteran status, personal appearance, political affiliation, matriculation, or any characteristic that is protected under MA or federal law.